- If it has black toenails. You found it under a tree, on a roof, in a gutter, or in the attic, you have a baby squirrel.
- If the hind foot has a thumb in the same location as your thumb and there is no toenail on the thumb, you have an opossum. Because opossums are nomadic the baby can be found anywhere.
- If the nails are clear to white with no thumb, however the tail is the length of the body excluding head, and you found it in a shallow nest, you have a mouse or rat.
- If you are unsure take a photo and be ready to share with the hotline volunteer or the wildlife rehabilitator.
- Most mammal wildlife rehabilitators specialize; therefore, it is important to know what animal you have before transporting.
- Provide heat as newborn (pink) animals cannot thermoregulate their temperature.
- Contact the wildlife hotline 972-234-9453 or
Thank you! Someone from our
friendly staff will contact you!